How to Choose What to Read Next ?
Reading books is like climbing the stairs of multi story building when lift is out of order and you live on the top floor. You have to break a glass ceiling at every floor to enhance your vision and joy of being closer to your destination.
I reviewed my reading habits. I found that after every certain spell of time I lost interest in one genre and shifted to another. When saturation of one genre came something happened which broke the glass ceiling and I could rise to another level of understanding.
Here are books or authors at each level:
2.Enid Blyton- Famous five series
3.Alice in wonderland, Alibaba, Arabian Tales, Sindbad, Marco Polo, Panchtantra, Little Prince, Gulliver’s Travels etc.
4.Romance books and love story--Mills and Boon (Mostly Girls)
5.Sci-fi fiction, Horror for boys, though it could be vice versa or both.
6. Matured romantic books—Gone with the wind, Thorn bird, Sidney Sheldon,
7. Suspense and crime thrillers—James Hadley Chase, Robert Ludlum, John Grisham, Mario Puzo
8. Books based on facts- Ken Follett, Irving Wallace, Wilbur Smith, Arthur Halley, James Clavell
9. Banned books —Lady Chatterley’s lover, Lolita, Nancy Friday, Anonymous
10.Fiction with philosophy—Ayn Rand, Paulo Coelho, David Brown, Khaled Hosseini, Murakami, Aldus Huxley, George, Orwell. Saul Bellow
11. Autobiographies—Benjamin Franklin, Albert Einstein, Mahatma Gandhi,
12. Classical Books—Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Shakespeare, Jane Austin, Pearl Buck, Earnest Hemmingway, Somersaught Maugham, Bertrand Russel
13. Text books of Philosophy, Psychology, and History to understand literature.
14. Philosophical or Psychological Fiction—Robert M. Pirsig, Jostein Gaarder, Mark Haddon, J.M.Coetzee, Gabriel Garcia Marquezss,
15. Self-improvement Books-- Malcolm Gladwell, Robin Sharma, Rhonda Byrne
16. Philosophical Fiction- Jean Paul Sartre, Albert Camus, Friedrich Nietzsche, Kafka, Hermann Hess,
17. Supernatural and spiritual literature- Harold Kushner, Dalai Lama, Swami Rama, Swami Yogananda, Richard Bach, Elizabeth Gilbert, Mitch Albom.
This list cannot be exhaustive. It is just to give you an idea how things change with the passage of time. If they have not changed for you since long then you are stuck at a glass ceiling and this is high time for you to pick up your next genre.